Auto / Motor Vehicle Accidents and Injuries
If you or a loved one has been involed in a recent auto accident - it is best to get in to be evaluated by Dr. Harris, ASAP, than it is to wait. An auto accident injury can knock your musculoskeletal system out of its proper alignment and cause pain in various parts of the body. For example, if you have neck pain and/or back pain after being involved in a car accident, it could mean that you have some type of soft tissue, nerve, bone, and/or spinal injury. Too often people don't seek help following a car accident and their post accident condition becomes worse. If not treated, these types of injuries can have a serious, negative impact on your health and can lead to months, or possibly even years of suffer with symptoms from their injuries. If you've been in a motor vehicle accident or any other type of accident, don't assume that you escaped injury if you are not currently in pain. Have your musculoskeletal system checked for free by a health care professional with knowledge in indentifying and treating accident injuries - a Doctor of Chiropractic, (D.C.).
After a Auto / Motor Vehicle Accident:
- Stop. Pull Over and Call 911,
- If all all possible, never drive away from the scene of an accident - unless you are by yourself and/or it's late at night - drive to a safe location,
- Always maintain your personal safety,
- Call a family member or friend!
- Protect the scene, collect the facts and don't get involved in any further discussions,
- Take pictures of the scene, your car, their car, don't let anyone take a picture of your driver's license,
- Write down the other driver's name, address, license #, registration # and insurance information,
- Make an accurate record – the date, time, city, street and cross street name(s), sunny day, raining, snow, fog, morning, afternoon or night, heavy or light traffic, were turn signals used, location and angle of impact………,
- File an accident claim with your auto insurance provider at once,
- Seek medical attention,
- Seek chiropractic attention,
- Request a Police Report of the accident,
- Contact an attorney for legal advice.
Common Auto Accident Injuries:
Head Injury: This could include concussions or other traumatic brain injuries, internal bleeding, skull fractures and lacerations. Neck and Back Injury: This could include whiplash, herniated discs, spinal cord damage, sprains, or strains.
Neck, wrist, shoulder injury, hip and foot injuries.
Soft Tissue Injury: This could include muscles, tendons, and/or ligaments that are stretched or torn in an accident - the pain can be significant and lingering.
Spinal Injury: This could include when the spinal cord is damaged, and the severity of the injury, a loss of movement or sensation in the lower extremities may result.
Broken Bones: this could occur on first impact and/or on recoil which can cause spinal misalignment, and broken bones that both can be extremely painful., cause long tern damage and can take a very long time to heal.
Common Types of Auto Related Accidents:
Mass Transportation (bus)
Commercial Vehicle (truck)
In closing, if you’ve been in a car accident - don’t wait! If you wait to seek chiropractic or medical care, you also run the risk of the insurance company attributing your injuries to something other than the car accident and not covering your care. Even if you’re not hurting directly after an accident, get yourself checked out! Give us a call and talk with the doctor about the best treatment options for you and your family.